Thursday, January 29, 2009

The big ouch



Kaden taught himself how to ride Kai's old bike and has been so proud that he has learned to pedal himself all over the back patio.  Last night he took a big spill though.  He got the biggest knot on his head.  It freaked me out, but we gave him a bath to clean him up, motrin and I sat holding him with ice on his head for as long as he'd let me.  We kept him up for awhile to monitor him.  I shined the flashlight in his eyes to check his pupils,  had him walk around to make sure he hadn't lost his balance and asked him questions to make sure he was coherent and his speech wasn't slurred.   The swelling has gone down today.
Poor Kaden.
None of my parenthood classes in college mentioned needing a nursing degree.

11 comments:

Nonna said...

Oh, the poor little guy...Jean, you did all the right things to check on him and make sure he was O.K. College only prepares us for so much...real life experience is the best teacher...Kaden is one lucky kid to have you as his Mom !

Jenni said...

That looks horrible!!

Jenny Erazo said...

Holy Cow that IS the biggest bump I have ever seen! I hate it when my kids take spills like that. I am glad that he is ok he is one tough cookie:-)

Leslie said...

Ouch is right. I don't like head injuries it is scary. Hope he is doing better today.

Mel said...

WOW. I don't think I have ever seen a bump that big. How scary for you. Glad it is better today. Poor Baby!

Rebecca said...

Oh my goodness! I'm sure it looks worse than it actually is...my brothers had goose eggs all the time growing up. One has even had stitches on every finger. Boys...

Fobert Family said...

Youch...My Kai fell at our family reunion over the summer right on a rock, it looked just like that, only with a little blood...and when he had calmed down for a while I let him look at himself in the mirror and he said...."RRROAARRR, I'm a dinosaur!" Kids...they're so resilient, it's the mom's that have the hardest time!

Timalee said...

So has Kaden rode the bike since then?

Loralee said...

Wow!!Good job mom!

jessica said...

YIKES! That is one serious owie! I hate it when my kids get hurt. Today Eden scraped her knee and I made Aric deal with it. I can't see them in pain...

Ahren Carpenter and Family said...

Wow that is a huge bump! Poor kiddo! I hope you girls are having fun!!