Saturday, March 14, 2009

Cake Anyone?



I bought this cookbook for my sister who loves to experiment with new recipes. Before I sent it off though I decided I'd try a few of the yummiest looking recipes, one of them being a chocolate truffle cake. I spent my WHOLE Sunday afternoon (following a hundred different steps and going through an enormous amount of ingredients) just to throw it away. It looks just like the picture but it wasn't very good AT ALL. That's kind of one of the reasons I don't like to experiment with recipes. I love to cook/bake but usually I only try a recipe if I've tasted it first or have a very reliable source tell me it's a good recipe and so I bid farewell to "Southern Living Christmas Cookbook".

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

That's surprising! I usually LOVE Southern Living recipes! But I use the "Easy Weeknight Favorites" version...nothing in there takes more than 20 minutes prep time.

jessica said...

Oh I SOOOOOO feel your pain on this one! Number one reason why I hate to cook. I only bake what I know is good. The last time I tried a new bread recipe I threw the loaf on the floor just to see how hard it really was. I must say I did find a fabulous chocolate cookie recipe that is to DIE for off my friends blog. She is an amazing cook so I totally trust her.

Check out this link...
http://greenbeanruminations.blogspot.com/2009/03/have-cookie.html

jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jessica said...

Okay so I can't get the link to show up right on the comment.

So go to greenbeanruminations.blogspot.com
then go to the "have a cookie" post. Or you could find her link at my blog, her name is Ilene.

MJ said...

I love to experiment! Sorry it turned out so bad. Better luck next time. I usually really like "ward" books because people put their favorites in. There's a new "World Ward Cookbook" at Deseret Book. I've been wondering whether I should buy it or not. Anyway, happy cooking/baking in the future!

doodooguru said...

I thought you were my friend. You like to cook! I am not sure I will ever talk to you again. I hate it.... HATE IT. I don't care if the recipe came over on the mayflower and my mother has made it perfectly everyday for ten years. I will screw it up. I will take a microscope in the kitchen to make sure i measured the exact amount, it will still come out YUK. I have decided that my kitchen knows I don't enjoy myself there and it has started sabotaging my meals. I hate to cook. Maybe we could work out some kinda trade. i will do a 'craft' station for your next quarterly activity and you cook me something yummy (that has been tried and tested of course!)????